PhD, Columbia University
After having held teaching appointments at Queen's University and Columbia University, Slobodan Djajic joined the Institute faculty as Professor of International Trade and Economic Development. His current research is mainly in the field of international migration, although his earlier publications cover a broad range of topics including exchange rate and current account analysis, trade in exhaustible resources, macroeconomic implications of commercial policies, and the effects of transfers and foreign aid.
Recently Published and Forthcoming Articles
- "Migration of Skilled Workers: Policy Interaction between Host and Source Countries", with Michael S. Michael and Alexandra Vinogradova, Journal of Public Economics, vol. 96: 1015-1024 (December 2012).
- "Guest-Worker Programs: A Theoretical Analysis of Welfare of the Host and Source Countries", with Michael S. Michael, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, vol. 22: 454-475 (April 2013).
- "Undocumented Migrants in Debt", with Alexandra Vinogradova, Labour Economics. Vol. 24: 15-24 (April 2013).
- "Some Essentials of a Workable Guest-Worker Program", International Economic Review, vol. 54: 739-766 (May 2013).
- "Barriers to Immigration and the Dynamics of Emigration", Journal of Macroeconomics, vol. 37: 41-52 (September 2013)
- "Temporary Migration and the Flow of Savings to the Source Country", Review of Development Economics, vol. 18: 162-176 (February 2014).
- "Temporary Emigration and Welfare: The Case of Low-Skilled Labor", International Economic Review, vol. 55: 551-574 (May 2014).
- "Liquidity-Constrained Migrants," with Alexandra Vinogradova, Journal of International Economics, vol. 93: 210-224 (May 2014).
- "Asylum Seeking and Irregular Migration", International Review of Law and Economics, vol. 39: 83-95 (August 2014).
- "Controlling Illegal Immigration: On the Scope for Cooperation with a Transit Country", with Michael S. Michael, Review of International Economics, vol. 22: 808-824 (September 2014).
- "Overshooting the Savings Target: Temporary Migration, Investment in Housing and Development", with Alexandra Vinogradova, World Development, vol. 65: 110-121 (January 2015).
- "Financial Support from the Family Network and Illegal Immigration", Review of International Economics, vol. 23: 387-403 (May 2015).
- "Guest Workers in the Underground Economy", with Alice Mesnard, Labour Economics, vol. 35: 53-62 (August 2015).
- "Overstaying Guest Workers and the Incentives for Return", with Alexandra Vinogradova, CESifo Economic Studies, vol. 61: 764-796 (September - December, 2015).
- "Source-Country Earnings and Emigration", with Murat G. Kirdar and Alexandra Vinogradova, Journal of International Economics, vol. 99: 46-67 (March 2016)
- "Illegal Immigration, Foreign Aid and the Transit Countries, with Michael S. Michael, CESifo Economic Studies, vol. 62: 572-593 (September 2016)
- "Transit Migration", Review of International Economics, vol. 25: 1017-1045 (November 2017)
- "Immigration Policies and the Choice between Documented and Undocumented Migration," with Alexandra Vinogradova, Economica, vol.86: 201-228 (January 2019).
- "Optimal Education Policy and Human Capital Accumulation in the Context of Brain Drain," with Frédéric Docquier and Michael S. Michael, Journal of Demographic Economics, vol. 85: 271-303 (December 2019).