The Global Health Centre's International Geneva Global Health Platform and the United Nations Foundation will co-host their annual briefing on 21 May 2023 to preview the key issues being considered at the 76th World Health Assembly (WHA) and explain WHA modalities for delegates, non-state actors, the media, and general audiences. The event will highlight the World Health Organization (WHO)’s 75th anniversary and its evolving role in global health governance during a time of intensive efforts to reform multilateral cooperation on health. The discussion will also recognise the serious and growing challenges to healthcare delivery in conflict and crisis settings, and consider WHO’s current and future approaches to supporting countries to meet these challenges.
For people attending the event in person at the Graduate Institute, simultaneous interpretation in French and Spanish will be provided, and a reception will follow the discussion. Please register here to attend the event in person.
Participants who are not in Geneva will also be able to follow the live discussion on our YouTube channel here.
Welcome remarks by Kate Dodson | Vice President for Global Health Strategy, UN Foundation
- WHA76 Modalities & Priorities
- Gian Luca Burci | Adjunct Professor of International Law, Geneva Graduate Institute
- Introduction to the Panel on WHO Legacy and Future Role
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (video) | Director-General, WHO
- Panel Discussion: WHO’s Evolving Role in Global Health Governance
- David Heymann | Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Suwit Wibulpolprasert | Senior Advisor, Ministry of Health, Thailand
- Dr. Ayoade Olatunbosun-Alakija | Co-Chair, African Vaccine Delivery Alliance
- Dr. Kerstin Vesna Petrič | Chair of the WHO Executive Board and Head of the Office for Cooperation with WHO, Ministry of Health of Slovenia
- Moderated by Amy Maxmen | Journalist, Council on Foreign Relations, US
- Fireside Chat: Health in conflict and crisis: a setback for the Triple Billion targets
- Ahmed Al Mandhari | WHO Regional Director for the Eastern Mediterranean Region (EMRO)
- Esperanza Martinez | Senior Manager Organizational Resilience, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
Closing remarks by Suerie Moon | Co-Director, Global Health Centre, Geneva Graduate Institute
The participation of Amy Maxmen is thanks to the generous support of the U.S. Mission in Geneva.