Master & PHD in Anthropology & Sociology
GLOBAL ISSUES, GROUNDED PERSPECTIVES
Master in Anthropology and Sociology (120 ECTS)
- Two-year programme, including a master's dissertation
- Broad disciplinary training with the development of specialised research interests
- Combines coursework in small class settings, opportunities for independent field research and close mentoring
- Possibility for students to participate in internships in one of Geneva’s many international or nongovernmental organisations
- Prepares students for careers in the international, public, private and nonprofit sectors or to pursue a PhD in ANSO
PHD in Anthropology and Sociology (54 or 72 ECTS)
- Four-year programme for students who have demonstrated a capacity for independent research
- Provides students with theoretical perspectives and methodological tools to explore the social and cultural systems that influence policy interventions
- Involves a year of coursework and preparation followed by extensive fieldwork and a thesis
The programme aims to provide students with theoretical perspectives and methodological tools to explore the social and cultural systems that influence, and are influenced by, policy interventions, especially – but not exclusively – in the field of development and international affairs.
Latest News From the Anthropology And Sociology Department
The Graduate Institute strives to support talented scholars from around the world. Affordable tuition fees and financial aid enable our MA and PhD students to complete their studies with less pressure.
90% of our students find work within four months of graduation. Recent ANSO graduates have secured employment with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, International Labour Organization, International Committee of the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières and more. Others have taken up doctoral, post-doctoral or faculty positions at the University of Geneva, the Max Planck Institute, the University of Oxford and University College London, to mention just a few. Learn more
Our student body
The Geneva Graduate Institute is home to students from all over the world. Roughly 1,000 students from 100 countries are enrolled in our various programmes.
A COSMOPOLITAN INSTITUTION
The Graduate Institute is a specialised school serving a very diverse community in the heart of International Geneva: nearly 20-25% of people in the Swiss city are connected to an international institution. The Institute’s close ties with the international community are reflected in the five social science disciplines taught here, all imbued with a global perspective.