Emmanuel Dalle Mulle is a post-doctoral researcher at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, where he coordinates a project entitled The Myth of Homogeneity: Minority Protection and Assimilation in Western Europe, 1919-1939. He previously worked at the Catholic University of Leuven and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona), and held visiting researcher positions at the London School of Economics, Boston University and the Vrije Universiteit Brussels. His book “The Nationalism of the Rich: Discourses and Strategies of Separatist Parties in Catalonia, Flanders, Northern Italy and Scotland” won the 2018 Latsis Prize for the University of Geneva. He is specialised in the history and politics of nationalism in Western Europe throughout the 20th century. His research interests include welfare nationalism, majority-minority relations, separatism, and the history of human rights.
- Dalle Mulle, E., Rodogno, D., Bieling, M. (eds.) (forthcoming) Sovereignty, Nationalism, and the Quest for Homogeneity in Interwar Europe. London: Bloomsbury Academic [under contract].
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2017) The Nationalism of the Rich: Discourses and Strategies of Separatist Parties in Catalonia, Flanders, Northern Italy and Scotland. London: Routledge.
- Dalle Mulle, E., Bieling, M., (forthcoming) ‘The Ambivalent Legacy of Minority Protection for Human Rights’, Schweizerische Zeitschrift für Geschichte [accepted for publication with minor revisions].
- Abts, K., Dalle Mulle, E., van Kessel, S., Michel, E. (2021) ‘The Welfare Agenda of the Populist Radical Rights in Western Europe: Combining Welfare Chauvinism, Producerism and Populism’, Swiss Political Science Review, 27(1), 21-40.
- Abts, K., Dalle Mulle, E., Laermans, R. (2019) ‘Beyond Issue Diversification: N-VA and the Communitarisation of Political, Economic and Cultural Conflicts in Belgium’, West European Politics, 42(4), 848-872.
- Dalle Mulle, E., Serrano, I. (2019) ‘Between a Principled and a Consequentialist Logic: Theory and Practice of Secession in Catalonia and Scotland’, Nations and Nationalism, 25(2), 630-651.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2016) ‘New Trends in Justifications for National Self-Determination: Evidence from Scotland and Flanders’, Ethnopolitics, 15(2), 211-229.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2016) ‘Belgium and the Brussels Question: The Role of Non-Territorial Autonomy’, Ethnopolitics, 15(1), 105-124, reprinted in J. Coakley (ed.) Non-Territorial Autonomy in Divided Societies. London: Routledge, 105-124.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2016) ‘“L’Altro positivo”: un’esplorazione della relazione triangolare tra nazionalismi senza stato, stati sovrani e Europa’ [“The Positive Other”: An Exploration of the Triangular Relation Between Nationalisms without State, Sovereign States and Europe], Nazioni e Regioni, 8, 27-49.
- Huysseune, M., Dalle Mulle, E. (2015) ‘Crisi economica ed evoluzione del “regionalismo dei ricchi”: la Nieuw-Vlaamse Alliantie, la Lega Nord e la retorica europea dell’austerità’ [Economic Crisis and Evolution of the “Regionalism of the Rich”: the New Flemish Alliance, the Northern League and the European Rhetoric of Austerity], Polis, 29(2), 221-250.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2020) ‘The Nationalism of the Rich’, in L. Greenfeld (ed.) Research Handbook on Nationalism. Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 230-241.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2020) ‘Separatist Nationalism in Western Europe: A Historical Perspective, 1970-2014’, in N. Levrat, D. Sidjanski, F. Saint-Ouen (eds.) L’Union européenne et les nationalismes regionaux/The European Union and Regional Nationalisms. Geneva: Publication du Centre de Compétences Dusan Sidjanski en Etudes Européennes.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2019) ‘Enlargement from within: Secession and EU Membership’, in S. Belenguer and N. Brady (eds.) Pulling Together or Pulling Apart. Perspectives on Nationhood, Identity, and Belonging in Europe. Bern: Peter Lang, 61-90.
- Dalle Mulle, E. (2016) ‘A Partnership of Equals or Equal Members? Equality and Difference in Multinational States’, in L. Greenfeld (ed.) Globalisation of Nationalism. Colchester: ECPR Press, 43-68.