Speakers will provide an update on how environmental issues currently feature in the regular work of the WTO’s Committees and Secretariat, and share views on environment-related priorities and opportunities. Speakers will also review the state of play on WTO negotiations on the reform of fisheries subsidies and on Member-led environment initiatives being advanced in the lead up to MC12, which will take place from 30 November to 3 December 2021 in Geneva.
- An overview of environmental activities at the WTO: Mr. Jean-Marie PAUGAM, Deputy Director-General, World Trade Organization
- An update on developments and opportunities at the WTO’s Committee on Trade and Environment (CTE): H.E. Mr. Manuel TEEHANKEE, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the WTO and Chair, WTO Trade and Environment Committee
- Structured Discussions on Trade and Environmental Sustainability (TESSD): H.E. Mr. Stephen DE BOER, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Canada to the WTO (invited)
- Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform (FFSR): Alison Hamilton, Deputy Permanent Representative of New Zealand to the WTO
- Informal Dialogue on Plastics and Environmentally Sustainable Plastics Trade (IDP): Ms. Maria Daniela GARCIA FREIRE, Deputy Permanent Representative Misión Permanente de la República del Ecuador ante la Organización Mundial del Comercio
Carolyn DEERE BIRKBECK, Director, Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS)
*Please note that as per the latest COVID regulations, those who wish to attend the event in-person will be required to produce a Swiss COVID Certificate or an EU Digital COVID Certificate.