Dr. Alaa Tartir is a Researcher and Academic Coordinator at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland. Tartir is also a Global Fellow at the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), a Policy and Program Advisor to Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network, and a Research Associate at the Centre on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding (CCDP) at the Graduate Institute. Among other positions, Tartir was a Visiting Professor at Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA), Sciences Po, a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP), and a Researcher in international development studies at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), where he earned his PhD. Tartir is the Author of Policing Palestine: Securitising Peace and Criminalising Resistance in the West Bank (Pluto Press, 2022), the editor of Outsourcing Repression: Israeli-Palestinian Security Coordination (AMEC, 2019), the co-editor of Palestine and Rule of Power: Local Dissent vs. International Governance (Palgrave Macmillan, 2019), and the co-editor of Political Economy of Palestine: Critical, Interdisciplinary, and Decolonial Perspectives (Palgrave Macmillan, 2021). Tartir can be followed on Twitter, and his publications can be accessed at his personal page.
- Tartir, A. Policing Palestine: Securitising Peace and Criminalising Resistance in the West Bank, Pluto Press, 2022
- Tartir, A., Seidel, T., & Dana, T. (Eds.) Political Economy of Palestine: Critical, Interdisciplinary, and Decolonial Perspectives, Palgrave Macmillan, 2021
- Tartir, A. (Ed.) Outsourcing Repression: Israeli-: Palestinian Security Coordination, Afro-Middle East Centre, 2019
- Tartir, A. and Seidel, T. (Eds.) Palestine and Rule of Power - Local Dissent vs. International Governance, Palgrave Macmillan, 2019
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Tartir, Alaa & Benoit Challand (2021) Palestine, in Lust, Ellen, ed, The Middle East, 15th Edition, CQ Press and Sage Publication.
- Tartir, A. and Florquin, N. (2020) ‘Urban Peace-Building through Community-Based Initiatives to Control SALWs in Libya’, LSE's Journal of Illicit Economies and Development.
- Tartir, A. (2020) ‘Palestine’, In Intelligence Communities and Cultures in Asia and the Middle East: A Comprehensive Reference, Edited by Professor Bob de Graaff, Lynne Rienner Publishers.
- Tartir, A. (2018) The Limits of Securitized Peace: The EU’s Sponsorship of Palestinian Authoritarianism, Middle East Critique, December, https://doi.org/10.1080/19436149.2018.1516337.
- Tartir, A. & Ejdus, F. (2017) ‘Effective? Locally owned? Beyond the technocratic perspective on the European Union police mission for the Palestinian Territories’, Contemporary Security Policy.
- Tartir, A. (2017) ‘Criminalizing Resistance: The Cases of Balata and Jenin Refugee Camps in the Occupied West Bank’, Journal of Palestine Studies, Vol. 46, No. 2, p. 7-22. Published in Arabic at the Arabic version of Journal of Palestine Studies June 2017. Available in French and Italian as well.
- Tartir, A. (2015) ‘Securitized Development and Palestinian Authoritarianism under Fayyadism’, Journal of Conflict, Security and Development, 15:5, 479-502, DOI: 10.1080/14678802.2015.1100016
- Tartir, A. (2015) ‘The Evolution and Reform of Palestinian Security Forces 1993-2013’, Stability: International Journal of Security & Development, 4(1): 46, pp. 1–20.
Policy Briefs and Reports
- Tartir, A. et al. (2019) "Mission Unaccomplished: Community-Based Initiatives to Control SALWs in Libya", The Small Arms Survey, Unpublished background paper
- Tartir, A. (2017) ‘The Palestinian Authority Security Forces: Whose Security?’, Al-Shabaka Policy Brief, May, Available in English, Arabic, Italian, and French
- Tartir, A. and Knudsen, A. (2017) Country Evaluation Brief: Palestine, Norad and CMI, Oslo, Norway
- Tartir, A. and Wildeman, J. (2016) The Multilayered, Cumulative and Comprehensive Cost of the Israeli Occupation: Beyond Economic Calculations, Report submitted to the UN-ESCWA, Beirut, Lebanon
- Tartir, A. and Wildeman, J. (2016) A Mapping of Donors in Gaza 2006 – 2016: No Contact, Data Chaos and Contextually Inappropriate Programming, Report submitted to Oxfam, Jerusalem and London
- Why Palestinians need the PLO more than ever, Foreign Policy, August 2020
- Why Palestinians Must Rethink their Governance, Middle East Eye, 19 May 2019
- How US Security Aid to PA Sustains Israel’s Occupation, Al-Jazeera, 1 December 2016
- Can fragility in Countries be Addressed Outside of Politics? The World Bank Blog, 25 November 2015
- Subcontracting Repression in the West Bank and Gaza, The New York Times, 26 November 2014
- Many other Media Op-Eds are available in Arabic, French, Italian, German, Spanish and other languages at his personal page