Health and insurance

Health and accident insurance


Health insurance is mandatory when living in Switzerland. You are required to provide proof of coverage within three months of your arrival. If you are an EU or EEA citizen, you may be exempt from signing up for Swiss health insurance coverage. Please read below.

You are a citizen of the EU or the EEA
Verify that your insurance will cover your expenses in Switzerland. Send a copy of your European insurance card to the Geneva cantonal health insurance office (Service de l'assurance maladie - SAM) after you obtain your residence permit.

Health Insurance Service | Service de l’assurance-maladie
62, route de Frontenex, 1207 Geneva
T + 41 22 546 19 00

You are not a citizen of the EU or the EEA
Several companies offer student insurance at affordable prices. The insurance contract is established solely between the student and the insurance company. The Institute is not liable in any way. The general rules and conditions accompanying the insurance contract are binding, particularly those relating to the nature and duration of the coverage.

Scorestudies Insurance

Grand Rue 40
1820 Montreux
Tel + 41 21 525 50 40

Download Flyer - EN

Download Flyer - FR

Meet Scorestudies Insurance at the Institute:

30 August from 11:00 till 14:00

19 September from 13:00 till 16:00


TeleHealth Flyer - Swiss Students

Private liability (third party) insurance


All Geneva residents are required to have private liability insurance (responsabilité civile), which will cover any accidental damage you caused in your apartment or other property, or accidental harm caused to people. Private liability insurance is often included as an option in student residence rental contracts.

Household insurance (assurance ménage or assurance choses) is also strongly recommended to protect your personal belongings.


Are you faced with medical or psychological problems? Learn more about student support.